[kde-doc-english] Parley userbase manual

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 5 14:18:25 CEST 2010

On Saturday 05 June 2010 04:36:15 Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hi Burkhard and all,
>
> Burkhard Lück wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 3. Juni 2010, um 00:03:21 schrieb Frederik Gladhorn:
> >> Hi dear all,
> >> so we finally got something that resembles a manual for Parley on
> >> Userbase. http://userbase.kde.org/Parley/Manual
> >>
> >> Now I talked to Burkhard a while ago and we hope to be able to generate
> >> Docbook from it.
> >>
> >> Now I don't know enough about either part, wiki or docbook to get
> >> started. How can we proceed on this.
> >
> > I'd like to see the Parley Manual exported from the wiki to all possible
> > formats somewhere in the svn archiv.
> >
> > Some interesting pages about Wiki export and postprocessing:
> >
> > http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/Html2DocBook
> > http://toolserver.org/~magnus/wiki2xml/w2x.php
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/DocBook_XML_export
> >
> > Please let's continue this mail thread on kde-doc-english at kde.org.
>
> I tried to play with the different possibilities today for a short while.
> Without really trying I did not get any output from just using the xsl from
> http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/Html2DocBook .
>
> The result from http://toolserver.org/~magnus/wiki2xml/w2x.php looks
> somewhat promising, I could get some docbook. I took the most stupid
> approach of simply pasting the entire wiki page into the web form.
> The result compiled to the html manual again with meinproc4. But it is far
> from usable. In the end only introduction and one other part made it into
> the resulting html.
>
> I did not yet invest further as I'm quite busy already.
>
> If anyone finds how to get the wiki page converted to docbook, I owe you
> cookies (and/or a beer).
> Please let me know and coordinate with Burkhard.

The mediawiki update is now complete, and translatewiki extension installed.
This afternoon I'll be checking that everyone I know to need it has Translator
status - the extension can only be used by that group.  The same extension
handles both exporting for docbook use and online and offline language
translation.

As this translation to docbook is most urgent, it will probably have to be
pulled manually, but the intention for the longer term (hopefully ready very
soon) is scripting that will get everything into the existing system
automatically.  We will be working on this over the next few days.

Meanwhile, anyone who needs translator status needs to contact me, to ensure
that they get it.  I've made a few notes that may be helpful on
http://userbase.kde.org/Translation_Workflow

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group