[kde-doc-english] control center manual

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Tue Jan 5 23:07:15 CET 2010

Am Samstag, 2. Januar 2010 03:18:03 schrieb Jonathan Jesse:
> awhile there was some discussion in regards to working on updating the
> Control Center Modules, are all of these modules located in svn under
> kdebase/workspace/kcontrol ? or am I missing some?  Been trying to figure
> out which ones are not updated or missing.

These docs "should" be in a subdir doc/kcontrol of each module where the code
is, eg:
kdeadmin/doc/kcontrol
kdegraphics/doc/kcontrol
kdepimlibs/doc/kcontrol
kdeutils/doc/kcontrol
kdebase/runtime/doc/kcontrol
kdebase/workspace/doc/kcontrol
Exceptions of that rule are dolphin/kxkb/kscd/ and some more

You find a lot of information about the status of all control modules on
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Documentation/ and its sub pages

> So far I've noticed several problems (Note I am running Kubuntu 9.10 with
> the KDE 4.4 Beta 2 packages installed):
>
> Multiple Monitors -- can't find a doc that covers that one (should be
> kcmshell4 xinerama)

There is no doc for that, please write one.

> Keyboard -- There seems to be two entries for this in KHelpCenter

Yes, one of the known problems with Control Center Modules here. This has to
be fixed in cooperation with kde-core-devel.

> Keyboard Layout -- How does this section differ from the keyboard sections
> already in KHelpCenter

kxkb - keyboard layout vs. general keyboard settings

> CDDB Retrieval -- Can't find a document that covers this one (should be
> kcmshell4 libkcddb)

You see the settings part of the kscd docbook here

> General -- No idea what this is supposed to be
>
> General -- Section talks about Dolphin's settings, should be renamed?

This is one of the Dolphin/Konqui settings modules, can't be renamed now
(String Freeze!). But this name is useless here.

> The other I have noticed is the docs seem to have different styles when I
> open them up in KHelpCenter.  An example of this would be look at "Screen
> Edges" vs "Joystick" vs  "Launch Feedback."  Would be nice if we could get
> these all looking similar so they don't seem so eye jarring when navigating

I am in favour to remove this useless list of items and replace as I suggested
already more than one year ago on this mailinglist, see my now of course
otdated mail here:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=122303347319776&w=2

> What is the next step on these?

1) update outdated/obsolete docs for kcm modules
2) fix khelpcenter navigation tree to display all these items in a structured
and usefull way.

--
Burkhard Lück