[kde-doc-english] Help missing for some KIO slaves: xz.html

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sun Aug 8 21:42:46 CEST 2010

Am Sonntag, 8. August 2010, um 19:59:10 schrieb Yuri Chornoivan:
> написане Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:44:42 +0300, Burkhard Lück
>
> <lueck at hube-lueck.de>:
> >> 1) Keep unified form with <KIOSlave>-name replacement
> >
> > I don't get what you maen here, please explain.
>
> For example, bzip2 text:
>
> bzip2 is a compression program.
> The bzip2 kioslave is not directly usable, and is intended for use as a
> filter. For example, the tar kioslave can filter a file through the bzip2
> kioslave, in order to display the contents of a tar.bz2 file directly in a
> Konqueror window.
> If you click on a file compressed with a .bz2 in Konqueror, this kioslave
> is used to uncompress it and display it as a normal (uncompressed) file.
> If you are a developer, and would like to use the bzip2 filter, you can
> find documentation on using kioslaves at http://techbase.kde.org
>   See the manual: bzip2.
>
> xz text:
>
> Xz is a compression program
> The xz kioslave is not directly usable, and is intended for use as a
> filter. For example, the tar kioslave can filter a file through the xz
> kioslave, in order to display the contents of a tar.lzma or tar.xz file
> directly in a Konqueror window.
> If you click on a file compressed with a .lzma or tar.xz in Konqueror,
> this kioslave is used to uncompress it and display it as a normal
> (uncompressed) file.
> If you are a developer, and would like to use the xz filter, you can find
> documentation on using kioslaves at http://techbase.kde.org
>
> The only difference is the name of KIOSlave. The rest is absolutely same
> for all archive KIOSlaves. Is this help information useful?

Ah, that was probably me with the triplication (bzip,xz,gzip) of this text ;-)

I see two issues here:
1) Is this info about archiv ioslaves in general usefull for Joe User?
I'd say yes, at least I don't know what to write else, but I am open for any
comment/improvement here.

2) If we use one gereralized doc for the archive ioslaves (makes a lot of
sense imho), how to handle that?
We have 5 groups of archive ioslaves afaik:
bz/bz2, xz/lzma, zip/gzip, ar, krarc(zip+rar)
Either defining some entities (name, extension etc.) in each header and pull in
the text from a general docbook in kioslave directory
or write one documentation for all archive ioslaves and and add all
names/extensions/links to man pages etc to it?
I am in faviour of the second solution?
Any comments?

What about 7z supported by ark afair? It is not implemented as ioslave, but as
plugin?

Thanks.

--
Burkhard Lück