[kde-doc-english] KDE User Guide outdated?

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 06:56:48 CEST 2009

Well, after wasting a little bit of time and being relatively
unimpressed by the [very few] WYSIWYG editors that [presumably]
support the DocBook format, I finally decided to simply edit the
DocBook files manually using good ol' fashioned Kwrite.  It brought
back good ol' memories of my old HTML days.  ^__^

The only problem was that I still couldn't figure out how to actually
READ the DocBook files using a standalone application that wasn't
KHelpCenter.  Not having luck with that, I ended up making
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/khelpcenter read-write, backing the
original contents up somewhere, and then making all the new changes
directly to the files.  That way, i could follow my changes regularly
by swapping back and forth between pages in KHelpCenter -- very crude,
but got the job done.  ;)

----

I started with the KDE Viisual Dictionary as promised and for the most
part modernized all the example screenshots.  However, I also did some
edits to the introductory text and presentation as well, since my goal
(now that I know what I can do) is to MERGE the Quick Start Guide with
the Visual Guide, making it a Visual Quick Start Guide of sorts that
more-or-less fulfills the original goal of creating a graphical tour
of KDE.

For the moment, please review my work on the Visual Dictionary:

http://pigux.com/kde4/documentation/visualguide_2009-0927.zip

Thanks!

--Arturo "C-quel" Silva