[kde-doc-english] Outdated man page policy?

Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 20:13:48 CEST 2009

2009/9/6 Allen Winter <winter at kde.org>:
> On Saturday 05 September 2009 5:56:30 pm Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm one of the Ark maintainers, and while looking at bug 206284, it
>> came to my attention that there is a man page for ark which was
>> written in 2005 and has never been updated. I was thinking of removing
>> it altogether, as it is likely not to be kept up-to-date.
>>
>> I tried to look for some kind of policy for this over Techbase, but
>> didn't find anything. So my question is whether I can freely remove
>> that man page from kdeutils/doc/ark or if it should remain there, even
>> if not up-to-date and likely to confuse some users (besides, not many
>> KDE applications seem to have man pages).
>>
> Raphael,
>
> I think we have general policy that "no documentation is better than wrong documentation".
>
> Personally, I like man pages and wish we had at least basic man pages for all the apps.
> But if don't want to support a man page for Ark, then certainly you should remove
> the old, outdated file(s).

Hi, Allen,

Is it up to the application's maintainer to keep the man page and
other pieces of documentation updated, or is there any way the doc
team can help me? I could try to update the man page, but I've never
done anything related to DocBook, nor do I think I'll remember to do
that very often.

Thanks,
Raphael