[kde-doc-english] [KDE Usability] KDE/kdebase/runtime/kstyles/oxygen/config

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo.pereira at free.fr
Tue Oct 27 21:38:19 CET 2009

On 10/27/2009 02:16 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
>
>> I still would like to mention that this config window will likely be
>> revamped if I put in animations in the style, because of additional
>> options. (and I don't think the current layout can handle one
>> additional groupbox)
>>
>> I was thinking of using tabs rather than groupboxes.
>> What do you think ? Would that be an acceptable design ?
>>
> Sounds okay to me, though I wouldn't mind hearing from -usability also.
> What's your time frame on that, however? I'd also like to have a decent
> looking dialog in the mean time, if the animation is a ways off
> (especially if there is any chance it won't be in 4.4)...

The plan is to have the minimum animations in kde4.4. (minimum being
smooth glow on everything that glows: pushbuttons, scrollbars, sliders,
tabs, toolbuttons, and possibly menubar items and menu items). Meaning
that it would be committed to trunk (I had quite some discussions with
nuno about it, and some emails exchange on kde-devel) in the coming days
(hopefully tonight).

More "fancy" animations (like smooth tab widget transitions,
follow-mouse focus, etc) would go into a branch to see whether we have
time to port any of these to kde4.4. This would be for the rest of the
week before soft freeze.

And this does not really affects the configuration dialog. Meaning, I
could commit that this evening, disregarding whether or not I implement
animations (I have the code ready here, really).