[kde-doc-english] KDE documentation team

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Oct 26 00:40:55 CET 2009

On Thursday 22 October 2009 22:22:28 Burkhard Lück wrote:
> 1) Status of documentation in kde svn
(...)

This is very interesting information. Sounds like we have some room for
improvement ;-)

> 2) Changes to the documentation
(...)

> - This is the start of a discussion about reusing text blocks and snippets
>   in the documentation + translation
>   http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=123456838425128&w=2
>   and it ended in this mail by Chusslove Illic
>   http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=123461844907311&w=2
>   Maybe a way to go?

Sounds like a good idea. My personal impression is that our documentation
lacks a bit of a user focus. It's dominated by too many technical and
implementation details. I think we can improve that, and the suggestions are
a good first step.

> 3) Khelpcenter

> * no activ assignee for khc bugs

The main problem of KHelpcenter is that nobody is working on it. It's probably
not perceived as a rewarding task by developers, as it's not very clear how
and if it's used by users, and the details of handling docbook display and
all the rest KHelpcenter deals with can be pretty tedious.

> We really should have a meeting to learn more about the different
> workflows, needs, possibility of cooperation and...
>
> Attendees:
> Anne, Anne-Marie, Cornelius?, me, Coles?, Yuri?, a translator from a small
> translation team, and everybody else interested in documentation

Who could represent translators? Do you have a concrete idea?

I would like to use the meeting to bring together people of all the different
documentation efforts in KDE, traditional documentation, Wikis, forum,
knowledge base, translators. Did I miss any area?

> Where and when?

I'll compile a list of potential participants and come up with a proposal for
a date and place.