[kde-doc-english] KDE documentation team

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 23 11:31:23 CEST 2009

On Thursday 22 October 2009 21:22:28 Burkhard Lück wrote:
> 1) Status of documentation in kde svn
>   branch 330 docs, ~ 100 updated in 2008/9 = KDE 4.x
>   kdeadmin (kpackage, ksystemlog)
>   kdebase (dolphin, kdepasswd, konsole, kwrite, ~20 kcms, plasma,
>   systemsettings)
>   kdeedu (blinken, kalgebra, kalzium, kanagram, kbruch, kgeography,
>  klettres, kmplot, ktouch, kturtle, kwordquiz, marble)
>   kdegames all docs
>   kdegraphics (kruler, okular)
>   kdepim  6 docs
>   kdesdk  6 docs
>   kdeutils 7 docs
>   lot of technical docs (manpages, ioslave info etc)
>
>   Outdated:
>   kdeaccesibilitiy, kdebase (userguide etc), kdegraphics, kdemultimedia,
>   kdenetwork, kdepim, kdewebdev
>   plasma has only a handbook from 2008, no docs for kdeplasma-addons and
>   no way to access the khc docs
>
>   trunk has around 442 docs, ~ 150 updated in 2008/9
>
>   Until kde 3.4 the documentation was always slightly outdated (e.g. kde
>  3.4 with docs 3.3) due to the release schedule (string freeze policy)
>  Formally this freeze rules are still valid, but since 3.5.? in practice we
>  backport every 4 weeks
>
>   exclude outdated language docbooks from a release (older than x.y version
>   then the current code)? An essentials limit similar to
>   http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-   kde4/essential/ for gui
>
> 2) Changes to the documentation
>
> - target of docs: user with distro packages, not users building from source
>   -> remove install.intro.documentation + install.compile.documentation
>   and the like
>   users building from source get their information via techbase
>
> - current doc system: pull centralisized infos via entities into all
>  docbooks every docbook has a settings + help menu, that is boring
>
> - lot of duplicated infos (e.g. about common tasks like file open dialog,
>   shortcut + toolbar settings etc)
>
> - This is the start of a discussion about reusing text blocks and snippets
>   in the documentation + translation
>   http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=123456838425128&w=2
>   and it ended in this mail by Chusslove Illic
>   http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=123461844907311&w=2
>   Maybe a way to go?
>
> 3) Khelpcenter
>
> * in case there is no documentation khc currently shows an error messages
>   "There is no documentation available for foo/index.html" + an additional
>   dialog you have to close.
>   Replace this with a html page containing:
>   - a link to docs.kde.org
>   - a link to userbase.kde.org
>   - a link to forum.kde.org
>   - a link to user mailing lists
>   - load missing documentation? (http://apachelog.blogspot.com/2009/10/kde-
> distro-package-splitting-100-fail.html)
>
> * cleanup the navigation tree
> - rm "Control Center Modules" see now outdated mail
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=122303347319776&w=2
> - better names of top items?
> [...]
My blog of yesterday, http://lydgate.org/blogs/?p=66, is setting out my
thoughts on these subjects, as I have spoken to both Burkhard and Albert
Astals Cid regarding them.  The forum team are allowing me to have access to a
sandbox on their server - it is being set up this morning - so that we can
test out the extensions suggested.  I hope this helps.

Anne