[kde-doc-english] heads up, koffice docs

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Wed Mar 4 18:01:48 CET 2009

heya,

The KOffice2.0 release is nearing and the KOffice team is working on updating
their webpresence to 2009. This means we are working on Techbase and Userbase
to polish and update info.

One of the things we noted is that our documentation is a tad out of date ;)
Nobodies fault, just an observation.

So, while we were creating content on userbase we decided to move the
documentation to userbase as well and that way avoid the whole problem of
contributors using svn and editing docbook files. (thats becoming a lost art,
you see ;). The goal is to significantly lower the barrier to entry.

The docbooks as they are today in svn will be released with the 2.0 release,
so no short term change.  We'll see how things pan out in the months to come.

Additionally (longer term) we are looking into ways to download the docs from
userbase when we are nearing the next minor release, both the main one as
well as any translations.
Some scripts will have to be written for that, but I have confidence that this
will show little issues. The main goal is to create a docbook that translates
neatly into html for our helpcenter, which is what the wiki markup, which is
the new main source, did as well.  i.e. no content lost on conversion.

Comments, congrats, flames; please cc me on the first two ;)

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander