[kde-doc-english] TOC or List?

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Mon Jan 12 22:20:34 CET 2009

Am Montag 12 Januar 2009 20:22:21 schrieb Manfred Mislik:
> On Montag 12 Januar 2009 18:22:56 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > Le Sunday 11 January 2009 23:35:52, Manfred Mislik a écrit :
> > > I'd like your advice as I'm about to get my first section done.
> > >
> > > I thought that I'd like some introductory notes at the beginning of a
> > > chapter and started them as an unordered list to give the reader an
> > > overview.
> > >
> > > Now I could also imagine to do that in a mor TOC-like way.
> > >
> > > http://tictric.dyndns.org/getting-started.html
> > >
> > > Thank you for your opinion.
> > > The rest of the handbook is still a mess as I'm still trying to get
> > > some system into it before I change too much unnecessarily. Please
> > > don't worry about it (yet) :-)
> > >
> > > btw, I'd also like to know how we link to othere handbooks like I tried
> > > with KWallet at the end of that page which is useless at the moment
> > > because there is none.
> > >
> > > Manfred
> >
> > Hi Manfred :)
> >
> > A list is fine I think as there is already a ToC at the beginning of the
> > handbook. Nice start!

+1

> > Do you need help in converting it to docbook?
>
> Well, it already is (I hope) docbook. It's just without CSS so it looks a
> bit flat, but still generated with meinproc4.

A succesfully with meinproc4 generated documentation can be broken, please use
checkXML and the EBN.

And xml2pot, which does the docmessage extraction for the translators, is
really pedantic eg about the order of special entities in the docbook.
So it is possible (and happens every now and then) to break the i18n toolchain
of kde completely with a valid xml file.

So I'd like to check it locally.

> But now that you mention it, I sometimes read about reviewers that seem to
> be hanging around somewhere, that check the handbooks for markup problems
> and such, I believe I understand.
>
> Do those reviewers read the markup before or after commiting? (not that I
> feel like committing any time too soon)
>
> Hands up if you feel spoken to :-)
>
> Manfred
>
> > For linking to other handbooks, I think it is possible but I can't find
> > the right tag. Perhaps someone else can confirm/infirm?

"For more information see: <ulink url="help:/kwallet/index.html">The Wallet
Manage</ulink>"

--
Burkhard Lück