[kde-doc-english] help center question

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Thu Oct 9 22:48:33 CEST 2008

Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 16:57:42 schrieb Kevin Hein:
> Hi!
>
> This is a little bit of a side topic.
>
> I generate some internal private use only documentation in DocBook XML.  I
> generate HTML to be web server hosted.  I generate PDF for those who
> prefer that format.  I generate MS Windows HTML Help ( or compiled help).
>
> I am very interested in being able to use KDE Help Center as a renderer. I
> have done some digging around, but I must be off on my terminology because
> I am finding nothing to tell me how to accomplish this.  I am hopeful that
> I can park a kdex flavor of my docbook under /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en
> somewhere and the help center will magically pick it up and I wont have to
> build all of the KDE docs/handbooks from source or similar.
>
> Can someone get me pointed in the right direction here?

There are several right directions:

1. You have to generate a index.html or index.cache.bz2 file with meinproc4
from the docbook source. Install index.html + pngs or
index.cache.bz2+index.docbook+pngs to
`kde4-config --prefix`/share/doc/HTML/en/docname/.
For the second task you can use the CMake macros from the kde build system.

Then you can display the docs in konqueror via the help ioslave, either enter
help:/docname in krunner or konquerors location bar.
If your don't install an application with the same name for your documentation
it is not possible to display the documentation in khelpcenter, you can not
select it, because it is not listed in the navigation tree.

2. List your documentation in the navigation tree
If it is a documentation for an application, which has a properly installed
desktop file with Categories and X-DocPath entries, you can select your docs
under Application Manuals -> Category -> NameofyourApplication.
If it is a standalone documentation you have to add a desktop file or a
directory to `kde4-config --prefix`/share/apps/khelpcenter/plugins, see eg
the Tutorial or faq.desktop in this directory.
There are some more special cases like the Kioslaves/KInfoCenter
Modules/Control Center Modules.

Another way is to add your documentation to the Scrollkeeper system in
KHelpcenter.

--
Burkhard Lück