[kde-doc-english] K Desktop Environment

Manfred tic at tictric.net
Thu Dec 11 15:37:54 CET 2008

Am Donnerstag, 11. Dezember 2008 14:10:04 schrieb Michael Skiba:
> Am Donnerstag, 11. Dezember 2008 08:17:15 schrieb Burkhard Lück:
> > It looks like an entity, which should be translatable, so it has to go
> > into kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/en/user.entities and the translators
> > need a hint about that.
>
> Should it really be translateable?
> I fear that there are quite a few languages, where you can't use the
> acronym anymore.
>
> For example German: K Desktop(oder Arbeitsflächen? :p) Umgebung
> would be KDU or even worse KAU.
>
> Therefore I think K Desktop Environment should be treated as any other name
> and not be translated at all :)
>

> Regards
> Michael

I do understand what you mean Michael but I think it's not so much about
translation then about consistent appearance of that 'string'. I can imagine
that in other languages/scripts (Arabic or whatever is used in Asia) this is a
real help not having to worry about the correct writing of that clumsy string.

So, it's not so much about translation but about consistency in this case.
But then, I'm new to this business and my arguments might not apply.

regards
Manfred

tictric at jabber.ccc.de