[kde-doc-english] Fwd: Re: Proposal for how to deal with documentation issues

Duns Ens dunsens at web.de
Fri Aug 22 06:25:40 CEST 2008

Others are thinking about moving stuff to Docbook wiki as well, see the
forwarded message. Harald Sitter who has pointed out the bad state of
KHelpCenter is also in favour of a wikilike system.
And the argument that instead of discussing this issue, I could do foo better
instead is not related as it is simply none. I don't want to discuss for years
here, but I won't do documentation either as I don't use it (anymore) and I am
mainly fixing code stuff myself, if I am interested in. I wouldn't stop myself
to edit a Wikipage for docs if used some though.

And if you concerned about string freeze than use feature freeze (+one week or
sth.) as the docbook translation freeze instead and backport changes later for
minor releases and fix changed strings once again at string freeze if
necessary. There are enough power users and fans out there using bleeding edge
packages and following commit digests to contribute to the english docs.
To me it sounds not convincing that this problem would stop a more open
approach. It is more like the work for the implementation of a wiki is
avoided. Use one db for current stable and one for the next major release
(trunk).
I simply don't get where the translators issue is tied to the wiki really. The
wiki is not more or less tied to a release cycle than any other content
creation system, but it offers much more contribution, even of KDE people not
being in the docbook team.

Regards.

P.S.: You can always go back to plain Docbook editing in trunk with a wiki
like Docbookwiki if it should really fail.