[kde-doc-english] Proposal to use (docbook)wiki for docs

Duns Ens dunsens at web.de
Wed Aug 20 04:04:38 CEST 2008

On Mittwoch, 20. August 2008 03:03:00 Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Would a wiki really help make the documetnation better?  Wouldn't there be
> less quality control in regards to a wiki.  Who would control what went on
> the wiki, how would the wiki deal with spam?
spamfilter??? quality team reviewing changes?
> Is it really that hard to
> contribute to KDE-Docs?
not for me, but for the ones who use it. it is mostly a social and a bit a
technological barrier for technolgical interested users. Is it hard that hard
to compile your own kernel?
> We have this converstation all the time with
> ubuntu-docs as well.
>
> How would documentation on the wiki translate into a help manual for
> offline access?  Not everyone has high speed or constantly connected
> documentation. How does the documentation on wiki translate into
> documentation on the client in a help manual?
>
> If a distro links to the documentation currently (as the Kubuntu docs do)
> how do you deal with this downstream?
Doc freeze on major release->app maintainer review->translation team(only
diffs)->convert to offline  (html, PDF, docbook) on major releases and ship
it. Then link to the online version of the article from KHelpCenter.

Please read at least the article and maybe the comments and refer to it, even
if this is a known issue to you. It is a bit offending to ask questions that
are answered or dealed with in the article and comments otherwise...
Why not use a Wiki?

I have told how I think about it and I am not the only one who thinks that
this would be great (as you say about a broader discussion as well).
Especially end users, the ones who this would try to integrate into the KDE
contributors and the docs are for, like the idea. And sorry, the current
documentation is not comparable to professional up-to-date documentation or
docs from Redhat, for example. They are almost always outdated in some way.
Have had a look at the trunk gwenview docs which is still kde 3.* and
completely outdated that way, although it is a main app.
Wikipedia articles about apps have almost always been up-to-date when I have
visited them.

But it is not about flaming docbook or the doc team. It is about my personal
experience as a (part-time) kde dev, that writing docs is not in the interest
of devs and they have not the knowledge to express things clearly for end
users, they have it for api docs though. And they are well done for the kde
core packages.
By moving it to a wiki it is not mainly about improving the docs in the first
place, but moving the possibility to contribute to a new user base, which is
experienced with wikis and not to mailing-lists personal e-mail conversations
which might be simply rejecting when you are a noob and are not community-
like. It also allows a-non-formal way to discuss about docs and problems so
people can get in touch first before they are pointed to bugzilla or the
official translation/dev teams.

> As far as I know there is currently not a wiki -> docbook plugin that works
> constistent, once again something the Ubuntu Doc team has tried to get to
> work correctly in MoinMoin -> Docbook and also Docbook -> MoinMoin.
But there is nothing stopping one to extend the Wiki markup (e.g. MediaWiki )
with markup to integrate docbook like information. Techbase is a good example
how successfull a move to a Wiki can be. The tech docs before are in no way
comparable to the huge and up-to-date information on Techbase.

> Jonathan

dunsens