[kde-doc-english] Finding docs bugs in KDE Bugzilla

techno_plume-coding at yahoo.com techno_plume-coding at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 19:44:59 CEST 2007

Hi.

A discussion about harder to find documentation bugs came up recently
in the #kde-docs IRC channel. Phil Rodrigues said if I could compile a
list of the apps that have a "docs" component, that could be useful to
know.

Here are the results!

Product: kdevelop has components for 'doctreeview' and 'documentation
viewer', but this does not seem to be the same thing.
Product: kio has component 'help'. Again, this doesn't usually seem to
refer to ordinary user help. Some bugs are filed under this.
Product: 'kjsembed' has component 'Docs and examples'. No bugs have
been filed under this.
Product: 'krita' has component 'Documentation'. No bugs have been filed
under this.
Product: 'kst' has component for 'documentation' (and 'i18n'). Only one
bug [#93829], which is resolved, has been filed under this.

== Possible 'docs' bugs filed elsewhere in KDE Bugzilla ==
About 65 open bugs are documentation bugs not filed under the 'docs'
product. Generally in components like 'General', against the individual
apps. Including closed bugs brings the amount to about 350 (some of
these may be i18n-only issues).

Phil confirmed that only the 'docs' Product auto-mails to the
kde-doc-English list.

== KDE Docs team website ==
The Documentation Writing team page
[http://l10n.kde.org/docs/current.php] has an open tasks section with
the following Bugzilla queries set up:
* Applications that don't have any documentation, or missing
information in existing documents
* Applications manuals that need corrections or updates to existing
text
* Screenshots that need fixing

These search for
a) Open bugs in Product: 'docs', that have Component: 'Missing' set.
b) As above but with Component: 'Corrections'.
b) As above but with Component: 'Screenshots'.

Documentation-related bugs that are not filed under 'Product: docs' do
not display to potential contributors using those queries (or during a
similar search using the Bugzilla web interface).

If requested, I can certainly re-file those bugs to Product: docs as
appropriate. However, that would generate anything from 60ish-300+ bug
e-mails to kde-doc-English in one swoop. That wouldn't make me very
popular. :o)

Regards,

Richard.