[kde-doc-english] documentation backport for 3.5.7

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Wed Jan 17 22:16:53 CET 2007

Am Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2007 19:27 schrieb Philip Rodrigues:

> > These are only the changed docs from my commit filters, maybe there are
> > some more in other modules. I left out everything with only ebn and
> > markup fixes and no changes in content, please don not backport such
> > documentations. It is only work for the translators, but mostly unvisible
> > for users.
>
> Agreed. It might be nice to backport typo fixes and spelling/grammar fixes
> though, if it's possible to do this without creating fuzzies that have to
> be dealt with manually.

Every typo fix or spelling/grammar fix creates a fuzzy message in all
docmessage files with a translation of this message.

> > Please no backports with no new or unchanged content!
>
> Do you just mean markup and EBN fixes, or are you including
> typos/spelling/grammar fixes?

See above, as a change of one char in the docbook generates fuzzies in about
20-40 translations, i won't backport a doc only with typos/spelling/grammar
fixes.

In the docs I have commited to trunk and want to backport you will find also
markup, EBN and  typos/spelling/grammar fixes, but only together with changes
in content.

> > Create a diff between the docmessage template in stable and trunk and
> > upload to somewhere on docs.kde.org would help translators, which have
> > only a checkout of stable, to see the changes in the messages.
>
> I don't quite understand. Do you mean that the translators would be able to
> see what the old message was before it was changed?

See the attachment, a diff between kmix in stable (before a backport) and
trunk postprocessed with grep -v "#".

But it would be a much better solution if scripty could use a msgmerge from
gettext 0.16.1 with the "--previous" option.
I just try to backport gettext 0.16.1 to my dapper and edgy systems to see if
it works as expected.

Whom to ask for scripty's machine and distribution, and if it is possible to
install a backported gettext?

Burkhard Lück