[kde-doc-english] KDE4 Docs To-Do List

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at lincoln.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 17 19:21:15 CET 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 8:50:00 pm Allen Winter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding Phil's to-do list for KDE4..
>
> + meinproc in KDE4 seems to work (in my limited testing)
> + there are currently no cmake rules to actually run meinproc
>    generate, install the docs.
>
>     I volunteer to work on that

Again, many thanks for this.

> + I'd like to see man pages generated from the index.docbook in KDE4.
>    Even if the man page simply says  what the app does and describes
>   the command line options.  Plus and authors and licenses section.
>    And, of course the man pages should be generated and installed
>    by default (on Unix-like systems at least).

I produced a manpage for kst a while back, which is partly done manually, and
partly automatically. It works as follows:
1. Put the manpage content inside a <refentry> in the docbook file. It appears
as part of the main document, so, eg, the HTML version will have
a "commandline reference" chapter, or similar
2. Generate the manpage using the docbook XSL stylesheets, with a single
xsltproc command
3. Put the line "MAN_mans = manpagefilename" in the Makefile.am

So, to make this properly automatic in trunk, we'd just need some cmake magic
to run the appropriate xsltproc/meinproc command, and do the installing. (The
docbook XSL stylesheets are already in KDE SVN). Should be fairly easy, I
guess, although it'll need some talking to the buildsystem guys.

Regards,
Philip