[kde-doc-english] Wiki-like khelp system

Sander Koning sanderkoning at kde.nl
Sun Oct 29 08:05:45 CET 2006

Jes Hall wrote on 2006-10-29 13:05 +1300 regarding Re: [kde-doc-english] Wiki-like khelp system:
> Hey guys,
>
> The argument for making KDE documentation a wiki comes up every now and then.
> Searching KDE mailing list archives for it brings up some really funny rants
> by Lauri. Most of the core documentation team are opposed to the idea of
> wikifying KDE documentation for reasons of quality control and ease of use
> for the docbookers.
>
> It does not get any easier than submitting documentation updates in plaintext
> via an email to kde-doc-english. I will never support a system where users
> who do not have an SVN account can submit documentation that does not go
> through a documentation team member. There has to be some interaction there.

Totally agreed - my reason why I'm against wikifying our documentation is that
it can get out of control. For better: too much documentation, so we cannot
check everything, hence we get a wildgrowth of randomly constructed manuals,
or for worse: too much bad documentation, so we have to weed out all nonsense
every day. Roughly the same as what you mention above.

> I love the idea of contributers throwing documentation up on the KDE wiki that
> the documentation team then goes and docbooks. That's great, and will stop
> things happening like me promising to docbook and commit documentation and
> then moving house and switching my job all in the same fortnight and
> forgetting. I'm so sorry Adrian! If the documentation is available on
> a 'todo' wiki someone else can pick it up if it's obviously been sitting
> uncommitted for a long time.

That, on the other hand, is no problem for me. I'm not against making it easier
for people. I'm just against uncontrollability (yay, you gotta love typing
that). Putting it on a wiki makes it a little bit more visible for us as well,
perhaps.

> On another subject, wow Sander, I can't believe all the commits from you at
> the moment! ;) I'm hoping to emulate you over the next week since I have a
> week off work.

Huh? I haven't really been active... Mostly maintenance. The dirty work is still
to be done...
Anyway, thanks for the compliment ;P

Cheers.
--
Sander Koning  (askie)   |   sanderkoning - at - kde -.- nl
KDE Nederland            |   http://www.kde.nl/