[kde-doc-english] Join the Documentation Team

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 16:56:00 CET 2006

On 11/26/06, Philip Rodrigues <philip.rodrigues at lincoln.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> > I would like to also through my hat in the ring for helping out w/ KDE
> > docs.  I already do a lot of work for Kubuntu documentation and would
> like
> > to tackle Keep as there have been some bugs reported on launchpad.netand
> > updated at bugs.kde.org on missing manuals.
> >
> > What do I need to do to get started on that?
>
> Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier about this. I've just taken a look
> at
> Keep and it seems like it doesn't yet have any documentation, so you
> should
> get in touch with the developer and tell him that you're interested in
> working on creating docs for it - he might already have an outline for
> docs,
> or some ideas that might be useful.
>
> How you proceed after that is up to how you prefer to work :-). I'd
> suggest
> making an outline first, so you have an idea of what you want to include
> in
> each section. Feel free to send the outline to the list if you'd like some
> comments on it. Then it's up to you what order you prefer to write it in -
> I'd suggest writing the "Getting Started" or "Basic Usage" section first,
> and
> then moving onto other sections.
>
> You can do all this working in plain text, and then send the plain text to
> the
> list, where we'll find someone to add the necessary docbook markup, so you
> don't need to worry about it. We can also provide editing and comments, so
> if
> you send each section/chapter as you write it, that will hopefully work
> out
> well both for us and you.
>
> I guess you've already seen the resources listed in other mails, but as a
> reminder, we're in #kde-docs on irc.freenode.net, and we have a
> documentation
> primer at http://l10n.kde.org/docs/doc-primer/index.html .
>
> If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. And welcome
> the docs team! :-)
>
> Regards,
> Philip
>
> Once you have a document done then what do you do with it?  Submit it to
the list?  For example another document that I'm 90% done with is for Adept
Manager (Kubuntu's default package manager).  Do I tar the entire directory
and atttach it to the list or is there some other way of submitting
potential documents.
Do other people then verify it meets the styles/standards for the other
documents?

Hope I don't overwhelm with what are probablly basic questions

Jonathan