[kde-doc-english] KDE 4 Brainstorming

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 16:28:51 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 3:05 pm, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
> I think now would be a good time to start thinking about what directions we
> want to take for KDE 4 with regards to documentation. This could range from
> "Keep doing what we do now, but recruit more people" to, well, whatever
> your imaginations can come up with :-).

Firstly and most importantly, I think we need to work on recruiting and
keeping more contributors. I guess this kind of goes without saying, and it's
not a particular KDE 4 issue, but it's important nonetheless.

In terms of procedure, there's one thing that I'd welcome ideas on: how to
make sure that the important new features are documented. I think that
important 3.4 and 3.5 features like the media:/ framework and kopete webcam
support [1] could have got a bit more documentation, which would require a
co-ordinated approach between coders and us.

Some 'technical' things:

The HCI working group has come up with a nice proposal for integration of
tooltips, whatsthis help and docs [2]. We're about to start looking for a
coder to produce an implementation so that we can take it forward.

It would be nice for KHelpCenter to get some love. We had a late-night
discussion about it at aKademy '04, for which there's a wiki page somewhere.
This would require input from usability people and of course coders.

I could probably come up with other things, but that should do for now.

Cheers,
Philip

1. Just examples off the top of my head - I hope I'm not stepping on the toes
of anyone who worked on docs for those
2. http://www.userbrain.de/whatsthis/ideas_whatsthis_january06_v1.1.pdf