[kde-doc-english] adding open office/ gimp support to kde help menu

sam ozzysamuk at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 17:32:02 CEST 2005

I'm putting together a machine for my flatmate who has
never used linux before so im trying to make it as
clear and intuitive as i can.

I am also a relative newbie- so please be gentle.

I just upgraded KDE version 3.4.2 running latest Mepis
Linux kernel 2.6.10
it is a i686 machine.

The KDE help centre has a section for applications
where i would like to put the manuals for open office/
gimp etc, in fact all the manuals listed here
http://www.bristolwireless.net/wiki/index.php/SoftwareGuide
i cant see how to add them ..

is there a reason that these manuals are not already
included? (or at least a link to them?)

i did a bit of googling
http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+add+documentation+to+the+kde+help+centre&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

and found this
http://frontrangebsd.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2003-December/006473.html
unfortunately i get lost about here:
Just make a .desktop file with
DocPath=file:/usr/src/somedoc/index.html
and you probably want to set the Icon and miniicon to
something cute too
(there's an icon pack in ports/x11-wm that has a bunch
of little beastie
daemons in there, among other things.)  That ought to
be enough.

are the instuctions there relevant for a recent debian
release? what do the instructions mean in plain
english?

thanks

Sam

Internet Explorer (IE) is buggy and insecure.... Happily, there is an
awesome alternative: http://getfirefox.com/... far superior to IE

There is also a fantastic and free replacement for word: http://www.openoffice.org