[kde-doc-english] KPatience

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 17 22:20:46 CEST 2005

Hi Peter,

> I'd like to contribute by rewriting the documentation for the KDE cards
> game, KPatience.
> The english currently used is a bit shaky, so I felt I would improve it.
> What tools/files do I need to get started doing so, and where do I get
> them?

If you want to make grammar and style changes, you'll have to work with the
docbook source, I think. You can get the appropriate file at the websvn link
that Carlos sent. If you have any problems getting the file, get in touch and
we can send it to you direct.

We usually recommend that new contributors start by writing in plain text,
because docbook can be tricky to pick up, and it's easier (and more fun!) to
do the actual *writing*, rather than worry about what tags to use. You'll
have to deal a little bit with the docbook in order to do modifications of
the existing source (rather than writing new sections, which can be done in
plain text). However, the docbook markup shouldn't get in your way too much -
most of it is quite self-explanatory, and if you're only making changes to
word order, phrasing, etc, then you won't need to modify it much. If you do
have any problems, don't hesitate to ask - either on the list or on IRC in
#kde-docs on irc.freenode.net.

As for working procedure, just make your changes to the doc, then send the
modified version (or just a diff) to the list. We'll then commit it to SVN,
with any other cleanup that's necessary (in fact, it's a little more complex
at the moment, due to string freeze before the release of KDE 3.5, but you
needn't worry about that.

One other thing - you don't have to wait till you feel you're "finished"
before sending your work to the list: (fairly) small diffs are quite welcome,
and we'll be able to let you know that you're on the right track.

And, of course, Welcome to the team!

Regards,
Philip