[kde-doc-english] More on PDF generation

Robert Wadley rob at robntina.fastmail.us
Sun Sep 11 00:40:28 CEST 2005

Philip Rodrigues wrote:

>>>I'm not sure where the problem lies for this one. It might be a display
>>>problem, with the images appearing OK when printed. Once I've sorted out
>>>the "oversize" image problem, I'll take a look into this.
>>>

>>The print size attributes of the images need to be set.
>>Using the Gimp: (Or whatever you like to use that can set this attribute.)
>>'Image' --> 'Print size...'
>>Adjust the print size settings so they will look good when printed in
>>the pdf. 'screen resolutions' looks okay on a monitor but for printing
>>you will need a lot higher resolution or you end up with the problem you
>>describe.  You can take care of the "oversize image" problem too as you
>>can define the size the image needs to be when printed.
>>

>Ah yes, this works. Is there a "correct" size or dpi to set the image to, or
>do I just set an image to have "width" equal to the page (text) width?
>
>Regards,
>Philip

If I remember, they are two different methods of doing the same thing,
so if you change the width, the resolution will change accordingly. Set
the width to equal the text width.

Because it contains screenshots, your document will probably look better
if the "text width" was wider (margins narrower). Otherwise your
screenshots will end up being very small in order to fit.

Here is a pdf manual I helped with that you can look at as an example,
It uses a wider text area to allow the screenshots to be bigger. It also
takes less pages to print the manual and it still looks pretty good.
http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/kmymoney-user.pdf

Rob