[kde-doc-english] Re: CVS access

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Tue May 24 18:43:31 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 15.15, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > We've recently switched to SVN instead of CVS, and I'm in the process of
> > rewriting all the instructions on i18n.kde.org to accomodate.  In the
> > meantime, you will need SVN installed (just the client, for KDE)
> >
> > svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdevelop/
>
> Thanks, I installed the client and svn works for me now.
>
> However, only my very first patch is in the SVN.
>
> On May 3, I wrote:
> "In this couple of days I found and corrected the error in my first patch,
> but also made a lot more changes. Diff attached, see its changelog.
>
> If possible, would you please first look at my changes and if
> you think they are acceptable, fix the markup AFTER applying this patch."
>
> and attached the file diffres.tgz that is also attached to this mail here.
>
> This second, bigger patch doesn't seem to be applied and it seems it cannot
> be applied now without destroying your changes.
>
> How should we proceed?
> - Can we merge the patch in (semi-)automatically?
> - Do you want to look at the patch, applied to the older CVS version,
>   and apply the changes manually?
> - Or should I apply the changes to the newest (SVN) version manually?
>
> I know what I've done, and I've got to continue this work anyway,
> so this latter one would be OK for me.

Sorry about that, but I had already done the majority of my changes before you
asked that.  I did intend to merge the patch in, but...

The latter is probably the easiest if you don't mind, since there are some
newly created files that weren't in your tarball, and the result didn't turn
out too well, shall we say.  If you'd rather, you can send me a tarball of
your working directory and I can merge them for you.  Whatever's easiest -
the only really important changes I made were to strip out the formalpara's,
the rest was just things I noticed while I had the files open anyway, so if
it goes a little back and forth, that's fine with me.

(If you want, I can apply the rest of the diff, or you can - other than one
very small and easy to fix chunk in getting-started, the only conflicts are
the ones in index.docbook, but those ones are large indeed.)

> Another question:
> How should we proceed in the future?
As you wish (the only reason this really turned out so messy is it happened
right in the middle of the big SVN changeover, and that complicated things
drastically.)

> Where should I send my patches?

kde-doc-english for the present, or you could get an SVN account.

> Or could I get a write SVN account?

Certainly, the instructions are at developer.kde.org (writing sysadmin with a
request, a note that you're working on the kdevelop documentation, and an ssh
key ought to do the trick.)

I would like to ask you use your real name for the purposes of copyright
ownership, in at least the legalnotice in the front matter, and preferably in
the credits and license chapter copyright notice too - Of course, if I'm
wrong, and Joe Dev really is your name, well, that's fine too.  While I
understand the wish to use an alias, we've been placed in the position before
of having lost track of someone and years later needing their acceptance of
a license change, or the like (and further I'm not entirely sure the legal
status of copyright claims by an alias in countries that require a copyright
notice to clam ownership, although they are fairly far between these days,
it's better to be safe than sorry.)

And welcome to the team (again, I said this already, but I'm glad to see
you've decided to stick around, even though it's a bit chaotic right now!

Regards
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org