[kde-doc-english] Doc team website

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 28 11:07:19 CEST 2005

> Target Audiences we should consider
> ===================================
> 1: Potential Contributors who want to
> 2: Application developers who want to add/improve docs for their app
> 3: Existing team members, looking for reference information, or for further
> jobs to do
>
> 1 can be broken down to smaller groups, that overlap some, but may be
> looking for different information:
> 1a: People who have a good grasp of English and write well, but have never
> written documentation before
> 1b: People who have some experience with docbook
> 1c: People who have some experience with technical writing
>
> for instance, people in group 1a might need information about learning
> docbook, and how writing technical documentation differs from writing a
> simple web page howto. People in 1c might be ready to jump straight in.
> Providing the required information to 1a should not get in the way of 1c
> diving right into work.

I think this is in some ways the most important group, since we always need
more people helping out, especially now that we have more "infrastructure" in
place (a new userguide, a maintainer for the FAQ, work on a KDE-wide
glossary, etc) which needs content.

So far, I'm not sure we're doing the best we could in attracting and retaining
new contributors, and I think it's because, speaking for myself at least,
we're quite ad hoc in the way we deal with potential contributors. Therefore,
I'd say that the website has to be part of a whole strategy, which includes
this list, the IRC channel, the groupware server, and so on.

The first suggestion I can make is that we should be more specific in
suggesting particular tasks to new contributors. As Lauri says, not everyone
has the personality, the motivation and the knowledge of the workings of KDE
to be able to find something they'll enjoy working on without us pointing it
out.

To be able to do this, we need to have a good list of "JJ"s, but I already
mentioned that in my other message. I'll go through the bugs on b.k.o and
mark some appropriate ones as JJs. I'll add those to the kolab todo as well.

I realise that this is getting perhaps a little off-topic, but does anyone
else have suggestions about how we can help potential contributors to get
over the first hurdle and get started? I'm thinking particularly about that
crucial first reply to the "I'd like to help the docs team" email that we get
on this list every so often.

Regards,
Philip