[kde-doc-english] Canadian English

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Jan 24 20:58:01 CET 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 16.39, Andrew Coles wrote:
> A thought I had the other day: officially at least, from what I've read,
> Canadian English is different to American English, sitting roughly
> somewhere between British and American English - centre, for example, is
> still spelt 're' not 'er'.
>
> As a Briton I know that there's a good amount of dislike of American
> English amongst the British; is the same true in Canada, or are most
> Canadians happy with the American English locale and, as such, there isn't
> a Canadian English translation of KDE?

Certainly there is no reason to not have a Canadian English (or any other
variant) i18n package.  It does require a commitment to maintain it though,
and there's rather more to it than just a search and replace for spelling -
there are cultural references strewn throughout both the strings and the docs
that may need adjustment (for instance: Rubbish bin or waste basket? or
trash? or waste bin? or... well you get the idea.) It would be a welcome
addition from the perspective of the docs team, as more native English
speakers means more proofreading, and potentially more hands on deck to help
correct and update strings in both docs and GUI.

In any case, there will be a Canadian English translation as soon as a
volunteer or team of volunteers meet the requirements for any translation to
be added (start here:
http://i18n.kde.org/translation-howto/new-language.html)

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org