[kde-doc-english] userguide dcop - ulink

Kurt V. Hindenburg kurt.hindenburg at kdemail.net
Sat Jan 8 09:01:42 CET 2005

On Friday 31 December 2004 04:33 am, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi Kurt,
>
> >   I thought about linking to the UserGuide DCOP section instead of
> > writing one for Konsole handbook.
>
> Good thinking - that's what the User Guide's for :-).
>
> > 1. The 'markup/links.html' says not to use ulink for internal files.
> > However, I couldn't get it to work without using ulink.
>
> The rationale behind this is basically that we can't guarantee that the doc
> linked to is actually installed on the  user's system. Also, the docs are
> generated in an online version for docs.kde.org, where users may be viewing
> them with browsers that aren't Konqueror - in these browsers, help:/ links
> won't work. There may also be other reasons that I'm not aware of.
>
> Lauri and I have done some work on making 'external' ulinks that will solve
> these two problems. If you'd like more information, just ask, and I'll
> write it up for the list (in fact, I should probably do this anyway).

O.K. so how do I link to the UserGuide from within the Konsole help file?

This would be the easiest for the user:

For an introduction to
&DCOP; and using <command>dcop</command> please look at
<ulink url="help:/khelpcenter/userguide/kde-diy.html#dcop">the User Guide
entry
on DCOP</ulink>.

Perhaps, something like "Please see Section ### in the User Guide for more
information"?

> > 2. The UserGuide page for DCOP does not display correctly; it is just a
> > bunch of text altogether.
>
> This is a known issue - that section is waiting to be marked up properly
> (the whole "KDE for administrators" section was taken from some KPresenter
> slides, with the markup being added later). If anyone would like to add the
> markup to that section, or even bulk up the text in that section to make it
> into full sentences, etc, please go ahead.
I think I'll move my DCOP intro/examples into 'Scripting the Desktop' section.
I don't quite get what "diy" is suppose to mean.

> > The <quote> are now quotes in Konq.  I'm not sure what fixed it.  I
> > rebuilt qt/kdelibs/kdebase.
>
> Cool :-)
Unfortunately, a recompile has again made <quote> into the little boxes...
sigh  :-((

  Regards,
     Kurt