[kde-doc-english] KOffice in the User Guide

Raphael Langerhorst raphael-langerhorst at gmx.at
Tue Feb 22 11:40:30 CET 2005

On Friday 04 February 2005 10:40, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently noticed that the new User Guide is missing a section
> about KOffice. Obviously, this is quite a large oversight, so I was
> wondering if anyone would like to add something.
>
> Content suitable for the Guide would be an introduction to KOffice,
> or a short article about some general feature (eg, 'Using the
> frames-based model of KWord'). Take a look at the current content
> to get an idea: kdebase/doc/userguide or
> http://people.fruitsalad.org/phil/kde/userguide-tng
>
> It needn't necessarily be new content - you can reuse something
> from the existing documentation. We did that with, for example, the
> kmail and knode 'setting up' sections.
>
> This sort of thing also seems to be a good way for new contributors
> to get involved, so perhaps someone who works on KOffice docs would
> like to forward this to the koffice or koffice-devel mailing lists.
>
> As ever, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
>
> Regards,
> Phil

Hi there,

I'll write up a section about KOffice today (hoping to finish it in
time - 12 hours left). Looking through the current user guide, I
would like to know what you think would be better:

Create a new top-level chapter for "KDE Office", like the "KDE
Components" chapter, or should it be included in one of the larger
chapters (like in "KDE Components").

Basically I think a full section would be better, since KOffice is
quite a large "component" of it's own.

Thinking about it, KDevelop is missing in the user guide as well - but
it's of course questionable if an IDE is suitable for an "user"
guide.

I would like to create such a structure:

* KDE Office
	* Introduction to KOffice
		* Features
		* Architecture and Design
		* OASIS OpenDocument file format
	* Document embedding
		* KParts and KOffice
		* Example document
	* KOffice components overview
		* ... [a short intro to all components]
	* Further information
		* Application manuals
		* Internet resources
		* Plugin development

What do you think? Anything missing? (Anyone wants to give me a hand?)
Raphael