[kde-doc-english] I'm interested in helping out

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Feb 7 12:54:33 CET 2005

On Monday 07 February 2005 01.16, Ben de Mora wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> My name's Ben, I work as a unix technician, and I'm interested in
> joining the
> KDE project as a documentation writer. I've not got any experience writing
> documentation for software so far, but I am willing to develop my skills in
> that area, and I am very enthusiastic about the KDE project.

Hi Ben, and welcome aboard!

> In case anyone needs to know, I run slackware-current on a 2.6.10 kernel,
> currently with KDE 3.4 beta 1.
>
> I live in the UK, I am reading for a degree: "Computing for Real-Time
> Systems", and I am currently on my placement year at Sun Microsystems,
> having
> already completed the first two years of my degree.
>
> I look forward to working with you all,

If you have anything in particular that you'd like to work on, speak up.  If
you're looking for a little direction, my first instinct is to see if we have
any sun  or slackware specific pieces (in any doc) that you could take a look
at updating, or if there are any pieces that need writing to deal with any
special sun behaviour, file system layout, things like that.  If you want to
look at that, I can help you run down any such content.

Otherwise, there's a pretty large list of things to do here:
http://i18n.kde.org/doc/current.php

As we discussed on IRC, we need to write in American English, but we can
proofread for you (and running the spellchecker in US English catches most of
it.)  You don't need to learn the markup to start with (or ever, if you don't
want.)

Another possibility I feel bound to mention is to help out the proofreading
team and the en_BR translation, although I also feel bound to mention we need
more people writing content desparately.

Whatever you choose to do, we're happy to have you,  and welcome to the team!

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org