[kde-doc-english] String freeze

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Fri Aug 26 00:10:42 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 13:45, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:16:18 +0200, "Stephan Kulow" <coolo at kde.org>
>
> said:
> > Am Montag, 22. August 2005 21:01 schrieb Carlos Leonhard Woelz:
> > > Can't we get one or two extra weeks for *docbook only*?
> >
> > We always did that. Lauri will collect changes coming after 5th and apply
> > them in large chunks, so that translators have a chance to work in
> > between on what is there without having to catch up a moving target.
>
> Oh, I always thought that these changes were held until the 3.5 tag day,
> and that they would only appear in the *english* documentation. So if
> there is a day in the middle when docs are integrated, I would like to
> know about that. This way I can cover more apps.

There's really not any specific day.  I usually do try to hold them until as
late as possible, tag day if I can, but at least fairly late.  If I've got
more after I've put some patches in, I can always ask i18n if they're ok with
me putting them early into the new BRANCH (so far it's not happened, but I
suspect they'd say yes anyway.)

Things are changing as more teams get more documentation translated, where it
used to really not matter if we broke the string freeze for docs, it does
more and more each release.  I usually post reminders here, and put the
patches up on a website - some i18n teams grab them and apply them from
there, so they get into at least some translations immediately.

So, do whatever you can, and send them my way (or to the list) and I guess we
just kind of play it by ear as things get closer to release.

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org