[kde-doc-english] KDE makes chatting easy

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Wed Sep 22 18:27:49 CEST 2004

Hello,

I've written a simple manual for IM Proxy in Dutch. And for the new user guide
I've translated it into English so I hereby enter the competition! But I see
no chapter in the outline covering this, so maybe it can not be included. If
not, please let me know, so I can make this info available via www.kde.nl

Tom Albers
KDE Netherlands  | {toma} @ #kde-nl
-----------------

KDE makes chatting easy

Did it happen to you? You received an email and the first thing you would like
to do is to give a reaction on it, but not by e-mail. So you switch to your
instant messaging client and/or IRC client and look if that person is online
via MSN, Jabber or IRC. Well KDE 3.3 has made that a lot easier. A
step-by-step manual:

The requirements are KMail, KAddressbook and Kopete (Konversation should do as
well). Make sure KMail is configured and fully functional for email, and
Kopete is well configured for IRC, Jabber and/or MSN and/or any other
protocol.

If an email comes in from a contact you know, the first thing you have to do
is to add it to your address book. This can be achieved by right clicking the
address and choose the entry "Add to Address Book".

If you know the nickname which the user uses on IRC for example, go to Kopete.
Go to "File"->"Add contact". In the shown wizard, select the checkbox at the
bottom called "Use the KDE address book for this contact" and choose "Next",
select the right Address Book entry for that contact and press "Next", now
you can set the display name and the group it belongs to for Kopete, in the
next screen select which protocol should be used if you have set up more then
one protocol. You can select more then one protocol. After that, depending on
the protocol, there will be asked other questions, please complete the
wizard.

Although we did specify to choose from the address book, Kopete has not
automatically linked your contact to the address book. So select the contact
and choose for "Edit"->"Properties". On the "General" tab check the box
labeled "Has address book entry". Pres ",,," and select the contact. Close
these two windows.

Now go to your addressbook, if you select the contact you will see that it
shows an extra field "Presence", followed by the current status. This status
will automatically update as soon as the contact goes away, offline, online,
and so on.
Now go to KMail, select an other email and return to the original email (in
other words: reload the current email). You can now see behind the
emailaddress the current state of your contact.

If you want to chat with this person, just right click the address in KMail
and choose "Chat With...". Your Instant Messager will start a conversation
with the contact.