[kde-doc-english] Re: FAQ addition: Autostart

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 20 22:15:14 CEST 2004

On Saturday 18 September 2004 7:28 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all..
>
> at http://docs.kde.org/en/HEAD/kdebase/faq/configure.html#id2875809 under
> the topic of "9.10. How do I run a program at KDE startup?" it covers how
> to run things via `kde-config --localprefix`/env and `kde-config
> --prefix`/env, but not the Autostart folder. could we add something akin to
> this to the topic:

<snip>
Committed. Thanks Aaron!

> also, i wonder if linking every instance of $KDEHOME and $KDEDIR to an
> entry showing how to find out what those are using kde-config and what they
> default to (if anything) would be a good idea eventually? it's kind of a
> 101 thing to know when starting to root around in KDE =)

We can probably do something very similar to this with the glossary facilities
in DocBook (although I could be wrong).

We're also working on making things easier to find within the documentation:
I've started adding index links to the User Guide (which, BTW, might be
useful in the future for providing searchability in KHelpCenter). I've
switched the index generation on, so you can see what it does, but there's a
lot of links left to add before we have a comprehensive index in the UG. In
fact, adding these links might be a nice task for new contributors - I'll
suggest it to the quality team

> btw, we're starting to use the FAQ more often on IRC. i'm sure Lauri will
> smile at that. maybe next i'll be using FreeBSD? ;-)

Nice to see the documentation getting some use - I'm waiting for the day that
'RTFM' is the answer to all the questions on #kde :-)

Regards,
Philip
Online KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org