[kde-doc-english] Re: First competition

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Tue Sep 7 12:39:48 CEST 2004

On Saturday 04 Sep 2004 19:37, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > 1) Decide on the task(s)
>
> I guess the two most obvious tasks are the User Guide, as before, or the
> FAQ. I haven't properly looked into the FAQ, so I don't know if it's in a
> suitable state to immediately put things in.
>
> If we decide on the UG, then I think we should make it clear what we mean
> by a 'section' - ie, a single page (in docbook terms, the lowest leaf of
> the <sectn> tree).
>
> If we decide on the FAQ, then Lauri and I will probably need to get to work
> on moving it out of kdebase. We'll also need to decide on whether to have a
> set of questions for which we want answers, or to allow any question (with
> answer).

Well can the kde-doc team make a decision on this, draft the wording for the
competition and then post it here?

> > 4) Decide on dates
>
> I think we should start as soon as we can, and give a one or two week
> window for submissions, maybe longer. The advantage would be that we then
> give people enough time to get around to writing (it's quite
> time-consuming, I find), although it would have the problem that we'd
> need/want to keep interest up over a longer period.

Agreed. We can always run a story after one week mentioning submissions so
far, assuming we have any ;-)

> > As for the second, we can either have on prize for the best entry, or
> > several. The plan we discussed at aKademy was to use the remaining
> > O'Reilly gifts, and once they run out to show O'Reilly how good it makes
> > them look and ask for more. We have one problem though: somebody took a
> > lot of the books from the orga office at aKademy without asking us, so
> > we're down to: * Two O'Reilly t-shirts
> > * Three C++ reference books
> > * 'Free as in Freedom' by Richard Stallman
> > We could just ask O'Reilly up front, but they might knock us back, which
> > would ruin the whole idea. Maybe we can just run with those prizes?
>
> I think that would be enough prizes to start with. As to the number of
> prizes, I guess it depends on the number of entries, which, er, we don't
> know yet... I suppose several prizes means several happy people at the end,
> so I'd suggest that, but I'm not really certain.

Yes, OK, we can say that we will give away at most three prizes, so we have
some left, and so we encourage lots of submissions. I can always chip in some
of my own books that I no longer use (Learning Perl, CGI Programming with
Perl, Running Linux).

Regards,
Tom