[kde-doc-english] Re: First competition

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 4 20:37:40 CEST 2004

> 1) Decide on the task(s)

I guess the two most obvious tasks are the User Guide, as before, or the FAQ.
I haven't properly looked into the FAQ, so I don't know if it's in a suitable
state to immediately put things in.

If we decide on the UG, then I think we should make it clear what we mean by a
'section' - ie, a single page (in docbook terms, the lowest leaf of the
<sectn> tree).

If we decide on the FAQ, then Lauri and I will probably need to get to work on
moving it out of kdebase. We'll also need to decide on whether to have a set
of questions for which we want answers, or to allow any question (with
answer).

> 3) Decide on judges

Hopefully, someone who isn't me will volunteer to judge, but failing that, I
guess I can do it. Having more than one person judging would also be a good
idea - so, any volunteers?

> 4) Decide on dates

I think we should start as soon as we can, and give a one or two week window
for submissions, maybe longer. The advantage would be that we then give
people enough time to get around to writing (it's quite time-consuming, I
find), although it would have the problem that we'd need/want to keep
interest up over a longer period.

> I leave the first and third questions to the docs team :)

> As for the second, we can either have on prize for the best entry, or
> several. The plan we discussed at aKademy was to use the remaining O'Reilly
> gifts, and once they run out to show O'Reilly how good it makes them look
> and ask for more. We have one problem though: somebody took a lot of the
> books from the orga office at aKademy without asking us, so we're down to:
> * Two O'Reilly t-shirts
> * Three C++ reference books
> * 'Free as in Freedom' by Richard Stallman
> We could just ask O'Reilly up front, but they might knock us back, which
> would ruin the whole idea. Maybe we can just run with those prizes?

I think that would be enough prizes to start with. As to the number of prizes,
I guess it depends on the number of entries, which, er, we don't know yet...
I suppose several prizes means several happy people at the end, so I'd
suggest that, but I'm not really certain.

> btw: please reply to both lists, or only to kde-quality if the docs team
> are OK with representatives relaying info back.

kde-doc-english readers: does anyone here object to this thread being taken
over to kde-quality?

Cheers,
Philip
Online KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org