[kde-doc-english] Glossary

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 4 21:47:01 CEST 2004

Hi,
I've made some changes and additions to the KDE-wide glossary, which I've put
up at:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri1802/kde/glossary/
You can find an HTML version in the html/ subdirectory there.

This is part of a wider plan for the glossary, which was discussed at aKademy,
and goes something like this (Lauri, please correct me where I get it wrong):

One central glossary functions as the glossary for all KDE documentation. By
defining all definitions as entities, we can do the following:
1. Use *all* of the entities somewhere to make the One Glossary To Rule Them
All(TM)
2. Have per-app glossaries by just including the relevant entities.

The stuff I've done so far is to gather glossaries from all the handbooks I
could find that contain them, and amalgamate them into one glossary. I've
split it up (almost) by <glossdiv> so that it's easier to handle. I think
this might  cause some problems when converting to entities, but I'm not
sure.

I also added some placeholders for definitions we might like to add in the
future.

Next steps:
Make the id's in the <glossentry>s consistent. I'll do this unless someone
else wants to.

Make everything into entities. This should be easily scriptable (he says...),
but will require someone with knowledge of XML and friends to make sure it
works.

Commit to CVS.

Publicize the new glossary - get people to contribute entries. This could be
done by a competition like the one suggested by Tom Chance.

Regards,
Philip
Online KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org