[kde-doc-english] More Kcontrol for the user guide :)

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Sat Oct 30 01:00:40 CEST 2004

On Friday 29 October 2004 19.54, J Hall wrote:
> I'm afraid I'm starting to run into some snags - a few modules I'm not
> entirely sure what they do. Could someone elucidate me on what
> Kcontrol->KDE Components->KDE Resources Configuration actually does? :)

Heh.  That's a big topic.

Consider KOrganizer: You can have multiple calendars, and the KOrganizer
interface will merge the information.  Or Kaddressbook, where you might have
multiple addressbooks - one local, one from an ldap server,  one that you
import from your TV station over http with their to-air schedule (ok, that
last is unlikely, but hey, it could happen one day).

All these things are resources, and most of them can be configured from within
the application.  In the case of things like kolab or ldap servers, it is
often easier to configure them all at once, which is what you can do in the
resources module.

It's very like the 'pick your favourite browser' or 'pick your favourite
terminal app', but it's about data sources, not applications.

Also, I've grabbed the rest of these (this one and the last, that I forgot to
reply to to say so) and will commit them tomorrow.

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org