K-ARTIST: Re: [kde-doc-english] screenshot policy

Kenneth Wimer wimer at suse.de
Wed Oct 27 00:02:08 CEST 2004

* Lauri Watts <lauri at kde.org> [Oct 26. 2004 23:09]:
> On Monday 25 October 2004 22.21, Jordan Abel wrote:
> > items not covered in the "corporate look" policy at
> > http://i18n.kde.org/doc/screenshots.php - list follows
> >
> > antialiasing (i recommend full non-subpixel)
> > font (bitstream vera sans?)
> Not suitable for non-english screenshots, and not installed by default nor
> required by KDE.  I'd personally like to use it, but it's definitely a
> problem.  The default font for KDE is still Helvetica as far as I know.

No.

The default font is Vera Sans because it is free. SUSE has compiled a
font SUSE SANS (which is per license the only way to reditribut the font
with chages) which is a compilation of all glyphs from the different
"free" vera sons fonts (there are a few)...anyway. I suggest making
screeshots with a vera sans font that includes as many glyphs as
possible for all languages.

The Vera fonts are really wuite good, all things considered (they are
free to use, and change as long as you change the name). I have even
talked to a guy who made a verdana-like font out of them (verdana is
the MS screen font) and I have thought about making a version of this
(his version is called toga) with the suse fonts, but I haven't found
the time. I have all the necessary files in case someone wants to take a
crack at it and make a few nice fonts for KDE. (hint, hint)

> > "small caption bubbles" or not for window decoration
> > (i recommend yes, since they fit better in a rectangular image)
> > "grab bars" on window decoration
>
> The new recommendation is to not snap the window decoration at all.  It's
> needless visual clutter, for the purposes of most of the screenshots (I'll
> bow to the wisdom of the artists on this one though.)

The window decoration should *not* be included in the screeshot. It has
nothing to do with the functionality of the issue at hand.

> > (recommend no - they take up space and are ugly)
> > shadowed text on window decoration
> > (recommend yes, lack of it looks ugly with the color scheme required)
> > order of titlebar buttons
>
> All these things can really be quite simply covered by "use the default
> settings"

We should define a standard config file set for those who wish to make
screens and a docu for how to make them active. Then we can make a rule
to only include screens that follow this protocol.

> > also, i think the desktop background color should be one other than white -
> > no-one has a white background, and it just doesn't _look_ like a desktop -
> > standardize on a gray color, perhaps, or a blue/green one.
> The reason for the white was to deal with an old keramik bug where the shaped
> windows didn't work correctly.  The previous recommendation pre-keramik was
> to use the default wallpaper, it could be changed back to that (what is the
> default wallpaper these days?).
>
> > icon theme
> CrystalSVG (it's the default)

Yes, the default icon theme is crystalsvg at this time.

> > kicker layout for full desktop shots should be specified?
> There is very little reason to be doing full desktop shots in KDE docs, and if
> so, the default layout should be used.
> > maybe use plastik window decorations / colors instead of keramik?
> If plastik is the default window decoration, that is appropriate, it's up to
> the artists to decide that for sure though.

AFAIK Plastik will be the default in future releases but perhaps someone
can start a flame war concerning this?

If I owned the world, I would use plastik.

> > toolbar button layout/enabled for various apps
> The defaults.
>
> > if you're really serious about making small filesize, you might want to
> > pick motifplus or something instead of plastik

Actually you would be amazed that filesize has nothign to do with the
matter.

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE Linux - a Novell Company - Nuernberg, Germany