[kde-doc-english] Re: New User Guide

phil.rod at ntlworld.com phil.rod at ntlworld.com
Mon May 31 10:00:09 CEST 2004

> > > Currently this help guide seems to be organised by function (I may have
> > > missed something)
> Indeed, we put quite some effort into making the outline task based.  Based on
> feedback I've gotten over the old quickstart/user guide and my experience
> with the FreeBSD Handbook, it works better this way.
>
> > > I wonder therefore if there could be a searchable, light-touch, "How do
> > > I?" section?

> There could easily be a "quick start" section early on, which basically
> consists of a bunch of questions linked to the appropriate sections.

Agreed. If anyone can suggest titles which are more task-based for the sections we've already got, that would be worth discussing, I think.

> > > (If anyone thinks that would be a good idea I'll start with "How do I cut
> > > and paste")
>
> Please, go right ahead.  Any thoughts on where to slot it into the outline?

Part I, Section 2, "Using the Clipboard" has the necessary information (hopefully...). Please feel free to add to it, or maybe rename it if everyone agrees.

Just to reply to Claire's points about using material from other websites, I'm quite happy to do that (with the permission of the original authors, of course). I'll take a look at those links, and perhaps contact the authors if there's anything that would be useful for the user guide. But I also have exams, so don't hold your breath - I'll probably leave it till July too :-)
Lauri, any objections to doing that?

Regards,
Philip