[kde-doc-english] Re: New User Guide

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Sun May 30 22:39:27 CEST 2004

On Sunday 30 May 2004 16.15, Gerry Gavigan wrote:
> originally sent this to the wrong place - confirming*
>
> On Sunday 30 May 2004 14:59, you wrote:
> > one small thoughts, hopefully useful.  one question One volunteer
> >
> > Currently this help guide seems to be organised by function (I may have
> > missed something)
> >
> > For example amid the small but growing group of non-expert converts I am
> > supporting - they don't know the question to ask and I am not sure they
> > would find this guide helpful.  (And like me they don't read
> > anything...)*

I'm not sure what you mean here - 'how do I' questions are inherently task
based, as it the outline we've written.  And for people who refuse to read
anything, no documentation is any use :)

> > Elaborating, one of them couldn't work out how to cut and paste between
> > applications - and had no idea that not only was klipper the answer but
> > that the little clipboard in the panel was the solution. Once klipper was
> > found, its usefulness and superiority became obvious immediately

Indeed, we put quite some effort into making the outline task based.  Based on
feedback I've gotten over the old quickstart/user guide and my experience
with the FreeBSD Handbook, it works better this way.

> > I wonder therefore if there could be a searchable, light-touch, "How do
> > I?" section?

There could easily be a "quick start" section early on, which basically
consists of a bunch of questions linked to the appropriate sections.

> > (If anyone thinks that would be a good idea I'll start with "How do I cut
> > and paste")

Please, go right ahead.  Any thoughts on where to slot it into the outline?

> > 2) A general index can be helpful - does docbook produce one
> > automatically

It does, if enabled in the doc (so, yes, we can do that - if you're writing in
plain text, just make a note which words you want to be indexed, if in
docbook, I'll show you how to do it.)

> > 3) happy to to do setting up an internet connection  (III, 12) both kppp
> > and using a router and contributing to or do (III,13) Email

This would be great! I don't suppose you'd like to also take over maintenance
of the kppp manual (it really hasn't needed any changes in a long time, but
does generate some email traffic with requests for help. )

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/