[kde-doc-english] Searching the documentation : Glossary and index

Daniel Naber daniel.naber at t-online.de
Sun May 30 13:32:12 CEST 2004

On Saturday 29 May 2004 23:39, Lauri Watts wrote:

> One of the other things I've looked at for alternatives is quite
> interesting:
>
> Daniel Naber (who also wrote the search routine on docs.kde.org) has a
> rather nifty little search engine
> (http://www.danielnaber.de/desktopdig/)  that is python based,

Actually you'll always run into trouble using an external tool. Command
line options might change, it's difficult to show feedback during indexing
etc -- I don't think those problems are specific to htdig.

The right solution is to use an API that cares about the indexing stuff,
like Lucene (written in Java). Luckily, there's a C++ version of Lucene
available (http://sourceforge.net/projects/clucene/). It would also be
useful for other KDE programs (e.g. KMail fulltext indexing).

I can help with the (C)Lucene stuff if someone does the other stuff
(Makefile stuff, GUI, ...). This would also be an interesting project for
Akademy. I'm CC'ing Stephan, I think he once did something in the search
area of KHelpcenter.

Regards
 Daniel

--