[kde-doc-english] Searching the documentation : Glossary and index

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Sat May 29 23:39:38 CEST 2004

On Saturday 29 May 2004 11.06, Éric Bischoff wrote:
> Le vendredi 28 Mai 2004 22:55, Lauri Watts a écrit :
> > On Friday 28 May 2004 12.42, Éric Bischoff wrote:
> > > Am I missing some point ? If not, any idea on how we could make the
> > > documentation searchable ?
> > >
> > > If there is some piece of code to write, I can do it, but I should
> > > first know how Coolo would do that ;-).
> >
> > See kdebase/khelpcenter/DESIGN - everyone is very well aware of the
> > problem(s), nobody's got a workable solution (and if they do, they don't
> > have the time to implement it)  Make Cornelius' day and send him a patch.
>
> Understood.
>
> > In the meantime,  if you're using a distribution that sets up ht dig for
> > you (I think that's probably just Suse), you're lucky, if not, you're
> > pretty much stuck, since it's almost impossible to get set up by hand
> > (I've had smarter folks than me try, and fail miserably.)
>
> OK.
>
> Thanks for that answer, Lauri.

It probably came across a little blunter than intended (I have a habit of that
though, you're probably used to me by now :)

What I would like to know is, how the distros that do have this working, get
it that way.

One of the other things I've looked at for alternatives is quite interesting:

Daniel Naber (who also wrote the search routine on docs.kde.org) has a rather
nifty little search engine (http://www.danielnaber.de/desktopdig/)  that is
python based, and we would have the advantage of him being an existing KDE
developer to help with implementation :)  Right now though, we can't rely on
an up to date version of the py-qt or py-kde bindings being available across
the board or along with a new release of KDE.   We can be more sure about
python itself being available, and desktop dig only needs the bindings for
the GUI, so maybe there's a way to put another gui on it.

There's several other interesting looking apps around, and it's a while (maybe
a year or so) since I took a really hard look around at them.  Maybe there's
something else out there that isn't ht://dig and isn't insanely complex to
get set up, that could be used.

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/