[kde-doc-english] taking screenshots

Marc Heyvaert marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com
Tue May 25 10:53:45 CEST 2004

Hello Rinse and all,
Good morning,

Thanks for your answer :

--- Rinse de Vries <rinse at kde.nl> wrote:

> I looked at your screenshot, and it is not 8 bit but
> 32 bit color.
> You can convert it to 8 bit using Gimp
> Just open the image in Gimp, hit the keycombi
> [Alt][I], and in the next
> dialog, hit the [Ok] button.
> You will notice a difference in the caption of the
> image window: befor it says
> (RGB), and after is says (Geindexeerd).

I failed to notice the RGB :). But I tried to convert
it using 'convert' and that didn't work : the output
file was the same size as the input file. Now at least
it is down to about 10K. I've included it with this
message.

Because there is still the issue with the 72x72 dpi
resolution. After reading Bernd Pol's message i
started investigating and I found that my X-server is
running at a 104 x 113 dpi resolution. So why does the
Gimp info window say 72x72 dpi? (See second
attachement).

If I have to restart the X-server to get it to work
under the proper resolution, I could use some advice.
The advice of creating a special user for screenshots
is not really practical because I have this special
development user already, and a lot of the stuff is
compiled as this user and I don't want to fiddle too
much with permissions and so.

I think I could probably shut down the X-server; start
it again with 72x72 resolution and then start KDE?

How can I do this?

Regards

Marc