[kde-doc-english] KOffice/KSpread documentation

Marc Heyvaert marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 21:54:44 CET 2004

Hi Lauri,

I'm not going to repeat my entire msg + your comments
here...

Thank you for your support and for the explanations.

I agree on most of what you said...just highlighting :

--- Lauri Watts <lauri at kde.org> wrote:

> I should note, in our conversations, and those with
> some other new writers,
> I've come up with a few things that could and should
> be added to the docs
> site, and perhaps should be made clear to all new
> KDE contributors in
> general.  More on that in a separate mail.

I'm looking forward to it

> There's some things worth reading here:
> http://i18n.kde.org/doc/styleguide/ (and indeed, the
> entire
> http://i18n.kde.org/doc/ section)

I'll read those documents again. My work will not be
as terse as some of the existing manuals - I'm not
that sort of guy...but there are alternative ways like
the KDEPrint Handbook

http://printing.kde.org/documentation/handbook/

That is the style that I have in mind. But length is
not a problem, users have to be able to find quickly
what they are looking for and so a logical grouping of
the info in sections and chapters is probably more
important.

Regarding the hands-on section you wrote :

> From what I remember though, we
> decided these kind of
> things work well when kept very focused on a single
> task, and about the
> length they can be printed on a single page as a
> 'cheat sheet'

Exactly how I see it, short sections, very focused on
one task, with a couple of screenshots. Nothing more,
but loads of it, grouped logically around themes.

> This looks like a great plan.  I also think you
> underestimate yourself, and it
> won't take long before the review process will boil
> down to 'looks great,
> commit that as is', although I'll admit we are
> master nitpickers around here
> (that's a feature, though, not a bug!)

Well, I'm starting to get confident now :) I asked for
a CVS account so that I won't have to bother you all
about committing stuff for me, but I have my work
reviewed everytime something's ready until you're all
bored to death...

> I have (I believe) all Rafael's patches committed.

Yes he told me so

> I'm not sure a tag is
> necessary, since we can as easily revert to a date
> as anything else, but I've
> no objections either, so tag away.

It probably isn't necessary to put Tags in or to
branch it. If there is a problem later we can always
tag the correct files at that moment.

Regards

Marc