[kde-doc-english] HOW to change default editor

James Kellndorfer jameskel at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 23 17:18:11 CET 2004

I have an old HP Vectra-VL Pentium 166 using one operating system - linux (not dual boot).
I am using linux redhat 6.2 kernel 2.2.14-5.0 i386 on a i586 machine.
I have KDE version 1.1.2
I have KEdit 1.2.2
I have Advanced editor KWRITE version 0.9.0

1. ------

I would like to change the default editor from KEdit to KWrite. How do I accomplish this?

2. ----
If I can't change the default editor, how do I associate editing specific extensions (such as *.cgi and *.pl) to Kwrite?

I would like one of the following to occur:
    a. right click these files and see Kwrite as an option rather the current setting of browsing for it. I would like KWrite to replace KEdit as the current editor in the floating menu.

    b. left click the file and have it open up in KWrite rather than have it execute the script.

3. -----

I would like to upgrade but my first attempt is problematic as the dependencies are killing me. Can I use Fedora Redhat Core 1 as my initial kernel and build from there?

4. ----

when I use Text Mode Setup Utility version 1.2 (/usr/sbin/setup) to change the screen resolution, many of the windows become too large and spill over the edges of the screen. Where is the file that sets the screen resolution? What parameters need to be changed so that Netscape Navigator and other KDE components don't have windows that exceed the window space?

5.----
I read the FAQs and saw a reference to copying/pasting but I'm confused if this applies to different sessions. Can I copy and paste across the four different sessions that appear in my version of KDE and not just different windows in the same session?

Jim