[kde-doc-english] How to see the latest version of a handbook.

Bernd Pol bernd.pol at online.de
Tue Mar 9 15:27:24 CET 2004

Hi Marc,

Am Montag, 8. März 2004 14:50 (UCT) schrieb Lauri Watts:
> On Sunday 07 March 2004 19.19, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> > Is there a way to point the KDE Helpcenter to another location (the
> > newer prefix)?
> > Is there an easy way to browse the te docfiles directly, with some
> > viewer, not with kate...or do I have to run some program?
>
> If you are editing docs, and want to regenerate them, run 'meinproc
> index.docbook' and you'll find the html files in the current
> directory.  Then just look at them in Konqueror.
>
> As far as having multiple KDE installs, setting $KDEDIR should point
> khelpcenter to the version you want to see.

If you want to edit the index.docbook of some application and wish to
readily keep track of how it looks in the KDE Helpcenter, there is a
trick I regularly use when working on the KDevelop User Manual:

- Find the help docs directory you are interested in (usually a
subdirectory in $KDEDIR/share/doc/HTML/en).
- Rename the index.docbook there to something like index.docbook.old
(just in case, to keep a copy).
- Set a index.docbook symbolic link to the index.docbook you are woking
on.
- Do so for any other .docbook file you work on in this directory.

From now on, whenever you call up this application help, KHelpcenter
will scan your altered copy and display it in the same format as if it
were installed.

Note that this link will be overwritten as soon as you reinstall the
application. So _always_ work on a copy of the index.docbook in
question. (I keep a copy of this link as index.docbook.lnk, so I have
to rename only.)
--
Have a good day,
Bernd