[kde-doc-english] Re: KDE PIM docs

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Thu Feb 26 00:25:49 CET 2004

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 17:23, Lauri Watts wrote:

<kde-pim related area>

<snip: a lot of good info on the docs status>

Thanks, Lauri. With your update and the kde-pim list update that you probably
didn't read, I updated the KDE PIM Quality Team Tasks page with the docs
information:

http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=Quality+Team+KDE+PIM

I will copy all the people mentioned in these page, as I don't know if they
are subscribed, and it is unpolite to mention someone without their
knowledge. Also, they may have corrections to make.

</kde-pim related area>

> On documentation quality team jobs generally:
> If someone is willing to do a finer grained review, a list of specific
> issues, new items to be added, and things that are no longer accurate,
> would be a huge help for me (and the team), either on a doc-by-doc basis,
> or for the whole module (or indeed, for any document you can find.)  This
> is a highly tedious and time consuming thing to do, and it pretty much eats
> up the few doc resources we have, prior to each release.
>
> When we have such a list, a competent writer can generally go through and
> fix all the items in a fraction of the time it takes to carefully compare
> the document and the interface and find the changes.
>
> We often get these filed as bugs (one issue per bug, ideally) by the
> translators, and it's a huge help.  It'd be nice to catch them earlier in
> the process, so the translators don't have to do it (they have limited time
> too, and if they're finding errors, it means the docs are out of date
> already)
>
> It's the kind of thing that takes absolutely no experience of any kind,
> either with the app, programming, or writing, and it's a great way to
> familiarise yourself with an application - selling it this way might make
> this the perfect "total beginner but wants to contribute" job.

It unfortunately requires an unstable KDE build, but otherwise is indeed a
great introductory task. I will add it to the KDE Quality Team Tasks Page:

http://www.kde.org/areas/quality/develop/modules/

Look in the documentation section for the new and the old tasks (The new task
may take some time to appear, as I will commit these changes now.)

BTW, I have a documentation section in the KDE quality page. It is not
complete yet, and I know how to make it better, but I rather rewrite it
later, when I will have more documentation experience. If you find something
to correct there, please drop me a line:

http://www.kde.org/areas/quality/develop/howto/howtodocs.php

The KDE Quality Team Project will be launched Monday.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz