[kde-doc-english] Comments needed on possible new strings for kdepim

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Thu Dec 30 22:51:09 CET 2004

On Thursday 30 December 2004 04:24 pm, Matt Douhan wrote:
> Hey
>
> Comments on the following strings would be very much appreciated as I am bit
> unsure on both my english(native swedish speaker) and the wording of error
> messages in general.
>

> switch ( errorCode ) {
>     case TooManyAts :
>                              return i18n("The email address you entered is not
> valid because it "
>                                        "contains more than one <emph>@</emph>:
> "
>                                        "you will not create valid messages if
> you do not "
>                                        "change your address.");
>     case TooFewAts :
>                              return i18n("The email address you entered is not
> valid because it "
>                                        "does not contain a <emph>@</emph>: "
>                                        "you will not create valid messages if
> you do not "
>                                        "change your address.");
>     case AddressEmpty :
>                              return i18n("You have to enter something in the
> email address field.");
>     case MissingLocalPart :
>                              return i18n("The email address you entered is not
> valid because it "
>                                        "does not contain a local part.");
>     case MissingDomainPart :
>                              return i18n("The email address you entered is not
> valid because it "
>                                        "does not contain a domain part.");
>     case UnbalancedParens :
>                              return i18n("The email address you entered is not
> valid because it "
>                                        "contains unclosed
> comments/brackets.");
>     case AddressOk :
>                              return i18n("The email address you entered is
> valid.");
>     case UnclosedAngleAddr :
>                              return i18n("The email address you entered is not
> valid because it "
>                                        "contains an unclosed anglebracket.");
>     case UnopenedAngleAddr :
>                              return i18n("The email address you entered is not
> valid because it "
>                                        "contains an unopened anglebracket.");
>     case UnexpectedEnd :
>                              return i18n("The email address you entered is not
> valid because it ended "
>                                        "unexpectadly, this probably means you
> have used an escaping type "
>                                        "character like an <emph>\</emph> as
> the last character in your email "
>                                        "address.");
>   }
>   return i18n("Unknown problem with email address");
>
> regards
>
> Matt

Matt,

All those strings try to tell the user if the email address they have typed is bad.
If the email address is bad, the message attempts to be very specific why.

So you have the bad cases:
  TooManyAts meaning the email address has more than one '@' character

  TooFewAts meaning the email address does not have a '@' character

  AddressEmpty meaning the email address is missing

  MissingLocalPart meaning the email address does not have a local part before the '@' character (eg. "@fruitsalad.org")

  MissingDomainPart meaning the email address does not have a domain after the '@' character (eg. "matt@")

  UnbalanceParens meaning the email address does not have the same number of closing brackets as
    it has opening brackets (eg "Matt Douhan <<matt at fruitsalad.org>")

  UnclosedAngleAddress meaning the email address has an opening '<' character but not
        a closing '>' character (eg "Matt Douhan <matt at fruitsalad.org")

  UnopenedAngleAddress meaning the email address has a closing '>' character but not
           an opening '<' character (eg "Matt Douhan matt at fruitsalad.org>")

  UnexpectedEnd meaning the email address probably ended with an escape character, like a '\'

  Default is  some other bad email address format was found but we don't want to bother trying to tell you what, specifically.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Allen

--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE