[kde-doc-english] quote display

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Wed Dec 29 14:30:20 CET 2004

Le Mardi 28 Décembre 2004 20:01, Lauri Watts a écrit :
> On Tuesday 28 December 2004 00:39, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:
> > Hello,
> >   Why does <quote> show up as a dashed-outline of a box character?  I
> > tried changing the Encoding, but that didn't seem to matter.
> >   Kurt
>
> It's font and locale dependent.  If you're running in English, and with a
> font that actually provides it, it should be a normal quote character.  Not
> all languages use " " (or 66/99 style typographical quotes) in text, so
> there's a possibility you're supposed to be seeing something like the
> formal German ,, baseline quote or a French guillemet, and your font
> doesn't have it.

The <quote> tag is usually rendered to different HTML characters according to
the language (at least it should be so...). There are different text quotes
for German, French and English :
- English : like " but more round, both up
- German : like " but more round, one up and one down
- French : like << and >>, at same level as other characters
Programming code should use straight quotes.

Once rendered to HTML, it becomes a font problem, yes.

> For within command line, it should in fact be the literal " character,
> since that is what users will be typing.
>
> Other than suggesting trying some other fonts, I'm not sure what to suggest
> - Can you see the quotes on for instance this page:
> http://docs.kde.org/en/3.3/kdebase/kfind/kfind.html#name-tab?

Yes I can (Konqueror).

--
Small dictionnary to understand what's going on
       CNN                   Reality