[kde-doc-english] quote display

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Tue Dec 28 20:01:40 CET 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 00:39, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:
> Hello,
>   Why does <quote> show up as a dashed-outline of a box character?  I tried
> changing the Encoding, but that didn't seem to matter.
>   Kurt

It's font and locale dependent.  If you're running in English, and with a font
that actually provides it, it should be a normal quote character.  Not all
languages use " " (or 66/99 style typographical quotes) in text, so there's a
possibility you're supposed to be seeing something like the formal German ,,
baseline quote or a French guillemet, and your font doesn't have it.

For within command line, it should in fact be the literal " character, since
that is what users will be typing.

Other than suggesting trying some other fonts, I'm not sure what to suggest -
Can you see the quotes on for instance this page:
http://docs.kde.org/en/3.3/kdebase/kfind/kfind.html#name-tab?

Maybe I'm missing something here if it's not a font issue, could you maybe
make a screenshot?

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org