[kde-doc-english] Defective Boot Record - Red hat Enterprise Linux WS version 3.

Marvin Kaylor mkaylor at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 2 06:35:45 CET 2004

Linux boots ok to GRUB.  It does not boot to KDE.  It worked OK until I
installed an additional, high capacity hard drive on my computer.  It
even continued to work OK after Windows crashed and had to be
reinstalled by the seller at a previous time.

The computer is a single desktop computer without network connections
and has partitions for both Microsoft Windows XP Professional as well as
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS version 3 on drive C.  It has a 2.8 gHz
chip, 1 gByte Ram, and a total of 361 gBytes of hard disk storage space
on two hard drives.  The first hard drive is 111 gBytes, the second is
250 gBytes.  The second drive has 2 partitions of approximately 1/2 of
its capacity.  One half is devoted to Windows XP while the other half is
devoted to Linux.

Windows XP Pro boots normally and Linux boots to grub.  The computer
works OK in all other respects.  I get a message when I try to boot to
KDE that says it has a defective boot record and that the boot signature
is missing.

I need advice on how to proceed without creating new problems with the
remainder of the system.  I have a backup of the entire system but it
did not allow me to recover from the Windows crash and I have little
faith in it's ability to be reinstalled if I lose data in trying to fix
this problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Marv Kaylor